- 1.3kg piece boned pork belly, skin on and scored, ask the butcher for the thin end
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
The dipping sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce (we used Kikkoman)
- small knob fresh root ginger grated
- 1 tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- Rub the pork with the five-spice and 2 tsp sea salt then leave, uncovered, in the fridge for at least 2 hrs, but preferably overnight. When ready to cook, heat oven to its maximum setting. Lay the pork on a rack over a roasting tin, making sure the skin is exposed. Roast for 10 mins before turning down the heat to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4, then leave to cook for a further 1½ hrs. Have a look at the pork – if the skin isn’t crisp, turn up the heat to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7, then cook for another 30 mins until crisp. Leave to rest on a board for at least 10 mins.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients together with 2 tbsp water. Cut the pork into small pieces, then serve with the sauce, plus boiled rice and steamed greens, if you like.